Thursday, September 29, 2005

Geauxing to hell



Before Monday night's thrilling game between Tennessee and LSU (in which the ugly orange team beat the ugly yellow team in OT), apparently some of those poor, downtrodden angels of Louisiana expressed their frustration in the only way they knew how, the poor dears.

Their actions, only so obviously, included pelting the UT buses with beer bottles, rocking them, and cracking windows. And while I can get behind the impulse to damage Volunteer Nation in any way possible, I don't have to use my imagination to conjure up what these drunk Cajun hicks can be like.

My father and I were down in Red Stick for the 1998 UGA/LSU game, in which Quincy Carter made his name synonymous with Heisman - for about three hours, anyway. We took them down hard - the #4 team in the country at the time - and walked out with our heads held high. Granted, there were a few sincere "Good game, Dawgs" lobbed at us, but for every one of those, we had 100 things said that can't be printed here... the most memorable by a 16-year-old girl, in fact.

My father and I actually felt physically threatened a few times, as we found ourselves in the middle of some increasingly belligerent groups. I still don't know what would have happened if somebody had pushed me - or worse, my dad - but no matter what, we would have been very outnumbered. I've been in situations sorta, kinda like that, on a much more watered-down level (seen a couple in Athens, unfortunately), but that was the first time I'd witnessed raw hate coming out of someone's eyes and mouth just because a person liked a different football team. And yes, everything seems a hundred times more personal when you're with your father.

"We are working hard to address the problem presented by the small percentage of people who, by their actions, damage the reputation of an entire University," Bertman wrote.

Damage the reputation? DAMAGE the reputation? As anybody who has ever been to that sticky Hellpit can tell you, this only reinforces the reputation.

Al Qaida called Hurricane Katrina an act of God because it struck the US. I called Katrina an act of God because it struck Louisiana.

No comments: