Monday, September 26, 2005

The silence of her little lambs

Jodie Foster almost lost her famous cool in a cinema recently when she stood up to a woman who was upset about her young son's questions. The actress took her kids to see nature documentary March Of The Penguins and ended up confronting the bitter woman in front of her, who turned on her kid for quietly asking questions in the dark.

Foster recalls, "This woman went berserk. She started with the shushing from the get go ... and then she starts yelling at me. Finally, I just turn into the most perfect police officer where I was whispering, 'You know, you're really disturbing everybody, and I think it would be a good idea if you moved if you're not happy.' It almost came to blows. I'm pretty sure I did say something offensive at some point, something like, 'You're awfully young to be that bitter.' She really lost her mind. But I was insulted. I understand. I go to a movie, I don't want to be disturbed. But don't go to a noon Sunday matinee of a family movie. I mean, what do you expect?"


Um, Jodie, my little schnookums - I don't care if its a Sunday matinee, a Thursday late show, or Friday prime time presentation - if your kids are talking, it is YOUR JOB to get them to be quiet, or excuse yourself from the theater. If your children are prone to ask a lot of questions or talk in other ways during a film, stay home and watch DVDs.

That's such a typical attitude of today's parents. Her children are talking, yet she says the other woman is "really disturbing everybody." Her fellow moviegoer might have overreacted a bit, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

That said, I saw Flightplan last night, and it might have been better if babies had cried the entire time.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I took my 2 kids plus 2 of their friends to see MOTP. I have Very well behaved children mind you, but, they asked me frequently during the film when it was going to be over. It was a painful movie to sit through. My daughter became very upset when they kept showing the dead babies. I just don't get all the hype over it. And I Love a good documentary.

Lydia said...

Yeah I agree with you on the idea of Flightplan. I wasn't too impressed with it either.