Thursday, February 01, 2007

Martians attacking smaller cities, like maybe Evansville or Terre Haute

Random morsels:
  • I don't think it's any secret I want The Departed to win the Best Picture Oscar. It's a flawed film, and not the year's or Martin Scorsese's best by a city mile - but it's a more exciting, effective film than the Academy-deemed competition. And even though it's the favorite in Vegas (yep, they do Oscar odds), I still think Babel or - more likely - Little Miss Sunshine will take the trophy. Tell me this, though: did the directors of either of those films pull off something as clever as this?

  • By now, you've heard of the "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" signs practically shutting down Boston yesterday. As an Atlantan (where the show is produced), a long-time fan, and a neighbor to a castmember, all I have to say it "Bravo!" I love it when Boston looks bad - especially at the hands of southerners - and Beantown absolutely flipped out over a bunch of Lite Brites. I mean, this has to be one of my favorite news photos ever - it's like Elian Gonzalez, but even funnier.

  • Ultra-liberal newspaper columnist Molly Ivins has died. I rarely agreed with her viewpoints, but I had the opportunity to have a nice, brief chat with her a few years ago. On an Alaskan train, no less. She was very friendly toward her nosy, journalism-minded neighbor, and I appreciated it. R.I.P.

  • A couple of weeks ago, a local prop warehouse decided to have a huge sale to get rid of some old junk. Amid the heaps, I discovered a sign which had been used in the immortal Atlanta-filmed classic Robocop III. I paid a grand total of $6, and turned to eBay to possibly recoup my investment. If only I were this good at the stock market.

  • I said it over on P&S, but it bears (snicker) repeating here: rooting for Chicago on Sunday is like rooting for the rest of Tony Dungy's kids to commit suicide.

  • I usually avoid reality television, but The Girl and I have been completely enthralled by Bravo's "Top Chef." Spoiler warning if you haven't seen the finale ... one more warning, and then it's spoilerrific territory ... OK. What the hell? Ilan was a whiny little bitch, a dime-a-dozen wanna-be hipster with his square glasses and sniveling complaints about anything that doesn't dare go his way. I know Marcel wasn't the most likable guy in the world, but he clearly showed more creativity and style, and was an least an engaging personality. So yes, Ilan's win pissed me off a lot more than it should have. And yes part II, I promise The Girl is actually a girl.

  • If you're looking for a Netflix rental that will unexpectedly blow you the F away: All That Jazz. Thank me later. And yes, I again promise The Girl is actually a girl.

  • By the time I get home today, I should have HD service for my flatscreen, a TiVO-like digital video recorder, and Comcast's On Demand service - all for the first time. Obviously, I'm excited to get home. I can't wait to see "My Super Sweet 16" in high-def. I mean, uh, "24."

  • John Mayer is dating Jessica Simpson. Who are you more disappointed in? If you know me, you certainly know my answer.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

If the martians attacked Terre Haute, how would you be able to tell? Huck the Foosiers.

Pasqua said...

Top Chef is the best show on TV. No shame there chief. Check out the first season...just as good.