Monday, March 05, 2007

Empty

We need to dim the lights on the snark and sarcasm for a moment.

Today, we lost an all-timer, one of those rare people who could hide their faults where nobody could find them. You've known a few of those folks in your days, the guy or gal who lit up anywhere they were, had the infectious laugh that brought your own out of nowhere, and contained a million small eccentricities in a seemingly normal whole. The world could be scoured for somebody willing to slander or defame them, but the search would come up empty. The person was just that damn good, and so valuable to your day-to-day existence they became indescribably easy to take for granted. Only a complete disappearance would cause their worth to even begin to reveal itself.

One of those people in my life was Amy Fuller. And she died this morning at the age of 29, a good 70 years too soon.

I consider myself blessed for knowing her, and share in the loss with her friends, family and coworkers - which is in itself a bit redundant, because she was a friend to all. Personally, I will miss the one person who laughed at all my jokes, no matter how dirty, ill-timed, or (often enough) unfunny. And for that reason, please realize I chose my words carefully. We must only dim the snark and sarcasm today. If Amy knew they were turned off at her expense, she would be disappointed in all of us.

6 comments:

Riley said...

Sounds like a great woman. Sorry for your loss.

DAve said...

The person was just that damn good, and so valuable to your day-to-day existence they became indescribably easy to take for granted. Only a complete disappearance would cause their worth to even begin to reveal itself.

Yep.

And Riley: you should remember her; you did an episode of Roomers in college with her - although you weren't in the same scenes.

Dennis said...

well said, josh. well said.

Scott said...

Atta boy, Josh.

We miss you Ames.

Meims said...

I take solace in the fact that Amy is now in heaven, where an infinite abundance of cheese, Diet Coke, onion rings, board games, dolphins, cats and smiling hippos await her at the gates. Her curls will always be perfect, the heavenly litter box always clean. We miss you and love you, girl.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bro. I have not the talent to express myself as you do, but if I did, I would have said the exact same thing.

Jamie Massey