Friday, April 20, 2007

"Hey, It's Friday, Let's Watch A Kick-Ass Music Video!"

It's time for yet another Friday music video, chosen each week with all the thought and care it takes to scratch one's butt. Basically, I open my ITunes, click down, get reminded of a video, go to Youtube, get the link, and - well, here we are.

I gotta be honest - most of the videos I recall are movie-related. When I was 13, I was the freaking soundtrack king. My buddy Jeremy once asked why I had the Three Men and a Little Lady CD, and my only answer was a scoff. I mean, it was a soundtrack. What more did he want?

One of the better, and sadly, more forgotten soundtracks of the '80s was 1987's Less Than Zero. You had Aerosmith, Roy Orbison, LL Cool J (with "Going Back to Cali," no less), Public Enemy and Joan Jett. Oh right, not to mention Poison, Glen Danzig and Slayer. An eclectic, kick-ass bunch.

However, when most people remember the Less Than Zero album, it's not for any of those artists. No, the signature song from this film was definitely "Hazy Shade of Winter" from The Bangles. And like any good music video, it's peppered with clips of Andrew McCarthy. Again, kick-ass. Maybe next week's video will be Mannequin's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now." That's not a bad idea, actually...

No comments: