Tuesday, April 10, 2007

On Imus

A sampling of lyrics from Billboard's current Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart:

#3 - R. Kelly, "I'm A Flirt"
When it comes to ho's, I be pimpin' like I supposed to/
Rollin' like I supposed to/
Shinin' like I supposed to/
In the club, fuckin wit' honeys like I supposed to/
I don't understand it when a nigga bring his girlfriend to the club/
Freakin' all on the floor wit his girlfriend in the club/
And wonder why all these playas tryin' to holla at her/
Just soon as she go to the bathroom, nigga I'm gonna holla at her...

Now the moral of the story is cuff yo' bitch, cuz/
Hey, I'm black, handsome, I sing, plus I'm rich, and (I'm a flirt).

#4 - Mims, "This Is Why I'm Hot"
This is why I'm hot/
Catch me on the block/
Every other day/
Another bitch, another drop/
16 bars, 24 pop/
44 songs, nigga gimme what you got.

#6 - Lloyd, "You"
Right off the back, ma, tha boy got dollars/
So women come frequent like flight mileage.

#10 - Crime Mob, "Rock Yo Hips"
Look at them hips, I like how she rock it/
She bend that thing ova and to the ground/
She be dropping and popping hard as she can/
Got me hard in the pants/
Because she all in her stash/
Doing her motherfucking dance man/
Look, lil' buddy cute in the face/
She rock her hips to the bass/
She take a sip when she wave/
And wanna get wit Lil' J/
After she dance on that pole/
I pull my cash so quick and fast/
When that ass hit the floor.

#17 - Rich Boy, "Throw Some D's"
There's ho's in the parking lot/
But I still got my glock hot...
I never slip, I never fall/
A lot of ho's give me they numbers, but I never call/
A real O.G. look at V.I.P. and see a nigga ball/
Then after we hit the club, baby, then i'm gonna hit them draw/
I'm gonna break you off (and that's all).

#19 - Huey, "Pop, Lock & Drop It"
The club turn into Hooters, cause they shirts is so wet/
From the window to the wall, little mama showin' her thong/
The broad freakin' herself/
It's tellin' me that it's on.

Yes, that's just from this week's Top 20. That's what our kids - all the way down to elementary school - are listening to. This is what our young women are basing their self-image on. This is how our young men are learning what it takes to be a "man."

And yet Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and a myriad of other media whores are up-in-arms about what one moth-eaten 66-year-old white guy spouted off - a talking head, by the way, who has zero pull with, and minimal exposure to, the young black community.

Sure, what Don Imus said was dumb and classless. And if you're one of those spine-made-of-glass types, maybe it was "deeply offensive." However, without the media firestorm, it would not have made one iota of difference with the youth of today - while those lyrics cut-and-pasted above are a true cancer, and continue to pour out month-after-month.

Some people need to reorganize their priorities.

8 comments:

Dennis said...

I couldn't agree w/ you more. Sharpton is more of a racist than anyone he has ever attempted to oust and nappy-headed to boot.

DAve said...

J, you need to send this off verbatim to every single news outlet that's covering this story.

Well done.

"I dumbed down my lyrics to double my dollars / They criticize me for it, yet they all yell "holla!"
- Jay-Z

Josh said...

So apparently Michelle Malkin and I are on the same wavelength. Scary. I'd like to think she just ripped me off.

Sheila West said...

Josh. I don't agree.

A sports commentator is not the same as a rapper. He's close cousin to a journalist while a rapper is an atist who speaks in extremes of hyperbole. Part of the job of a commentator is to speak clearly. Part of the job of a rapper is to speak in extremes, even if those extremes cross over into fantsay-laden insult.

Imus spoke in extremes and in insults, way out of bounds for his role and his job.

Chip Houston said...

Isn't R. Kelly in jail for something?

Is this the same R. Kelly that wrote "I Believe I Can Fly?"

Josh said...

Actually, Sheila, what Imus does is a comedy show, not a sports one. What a comedian often does is exactly the same as a rapper - speak in extremes, and often engage in shock value.

Whose extremes are causing more harm, though? Imus's callous and stupid "nappy headed hos comment," or the constant degradation of women in a medium where our children are increasingly getting their values from?

Carla said...

Hey Josh -- what's up :)

I appreciate the fact that you took this opportunity to comment on the horrible lyrics that currently affect our youth, but at least SOMEONE is getting criticized for calling women hos. I think it's crazy ridiculous that someone found it necessary to hold an hour-long news conference about it. Still, a part of me is glad that the asshole didn't get away with talking about a group of young girls in such a disrespectful way. Sure, he's a comedian, and in NO WAY do I think he shouldn't have been allowed to say what he said. I'm just glad that people spoke back.

DAve said...

"Part of the job of a commentator is to speak clearly."

Someone tell that to Stuart Scott.