Friday, May 18, 2007

"Hey, It's Friday, Let's Watch A Kick-Ass Music Video!"

As long as I can get amnesty for the next major crime I commit, especially if I'm unrepentant and in feigned shock that someone would actually call me on it, then I'm totally fine with this. Sadly, though, I don't believe that's going to be the case, and the whole thing is our federal government's latest absurd, politically correct ankle-grabbing manuever.

A quote often attributed to Scottish historian Alexander Fraser Tytler says, "The average age of the world's great civilizations has been 200 years." Looks like we're running on borrowed time, folks. I think most of us can agree, at least, that our government personnel are in major need of an overhaul - and I wouldn't mind it being complete as far as elected officials go. Nobody in Washington has balls anymore.

And please don't misinterpret or spin this as an anti-Hispanic bias. Many of you know I work every day in a class of mostly Hispanic children, some of them here illegally through no fault of their own. I get it, I really do. When I accepted this job, I knew exactly what I was getting into, and did it willingly. However, I also see first-hand every day the tax dollars poured into this growing problem, and honestly, I'm just not a fan of just letting criminals - the adults - slide (and if you think that word is too harsh, explain to me why it's wrong.) There are millions of people trying to get into this country legally, and we're rewarding the ones that had no respect for our laws. And the lip service paid to tightening up the border is just that - lip service. The flood of illegals will continue, perhaps actually increasing because of this legislation.

Hey, though, I found a perfect video for the occasion. What a difference 20 years makes, too: in 1987, this received major play on MTV. Even better, I absolutely love the circa-'87 intro this video gets. I could have found a version without it, but where's the fun in that?

1 comment:

Josh said...

Hours later, and no comments about such an incendiary matter? Oh right, I somehow clicked "no comments." Sorry about that. All better now.