Sunday, June 24, 2007

At this point, Republicans could start eating roasted babies on live TV and I still wouldn't vote Democrat (and I really dislike Republicans)

From a Fox News interview with Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CALIF):

FOX NEWS HOST CHRIS WALLACE: So would you revive the fairness doctrine?

FEINSTEIN: Well, I'm looking at it, as a matter of fact, Chris, because I think there ought to be an opportunity to present the other side. And unfortunately, talk radio is overwhelmingly one way.

WALLACE: But the argument would be it's the marketplace, and if liberals want to put on their own talk radio, they can put it on. At this point, they don't seem to be able to find much of a market.

FEINSTEIN: Well, apparently, there have been problems. It is growing. But I do believe in fairness. I remember when there was a fairness doctrine, and I think there was much more serious correct reporting to people.

_________________________

If you don't see a problem with the government defining "fairness" for private business, God help you. And if this happens, by the way, I want unlimited posting privilege on every liberal blog out there. After all, the public owns the Internet! (At least as much as it supposedly owns the airwaves.)

2 comments:

Shan said...

At one point, I thought this was just a lot of whiny nonsense from the left, lamenting the fact that they can't get traction in the private marketplace of talk radio. I simply cannot believe they're going to attempt this legislatively. Unbelievable.

However, if this idea has momentum, we could use it for GOOD. For example, make FOX resurrect "Arrested Development" to balance out the many other shitty sitcoms out there. That's "Fair" after all.

jeffmcm said...

They will not attempt this legislatively. The biggest thing wrong with this idea is that it plays into the hands of the paranoid right.