Friday, July 13, 2007

"Hey, It's Friday, Let's Watch A Kick-Ass Music Video!"

"I Drove All Night" is a Roy Orbison song.

"I Drove All Night" is not a Cyndi Lauper song.

"I Drove All Night" is not a Celine Dion song.

"I Drove All Night" is a Roy Orbison song.

OK, I'm glad we cleared that up. The thing is, Orbison recorded this amazing song - I consider it his best - in 1987, but didn't immediately release it. Two years later, Lauper released her own version, and it hit the Billboard Top 10 in North America.

Orbison's version was finally included on his 1992 album "King of Hearts." Sadly, Roy had died three years before, and wasn't around to film a video when it became a surprise posthumous hit. So what do you do when you want a Roy Orbison video but don't have Orbison to participate?

You get Jason Priestly and Jennifer Connelly to make out. Cool.

(When Dion recorded her own version in 2003, she passed up the opportunity to once again let Priestly and Connelly go at it. A shame.)

No comments: