Friday, August 03, 2007

"Hey, It's Friday, Let's Watch A Kick-Ass Music Video!"

I just finished watching Zodiac a few days ago. It's the decades-spanning story of the infamous San Francisco serial killer, and the manhunt's effects on various reporters and investigators. It blazed in and out of theaters earlier this year, but it's still appalling it took me this long to see it. I'm almost always first in line to see anything by director David Fincher.

The guy hasn't steered me wrong yet. His Fight Club and Seven would make a list of my all-time favorite films, and even his supposed misfires - Alien 3 and The Game - have moments of undeniable brilliance. And as of right now, Zodiac is the best film of 2007. (Of course, that's not saying much, as Knocked Up and Live Free or Die Hard round out the top three.)

Fincher's chops could be witnessed well before his big-screen debut, though. In fact, in doing a little research about his career, I discovered he was responsible for one of my all-time favorite music videos. I'm not sure how well it holds up today (OK, it doesn't), but it's not hard to understand why I liked it so much as a 14-year-old.



Oh, and this isn't a video per se, but a buddy sent it to me and it's too good to pass up. It's a clip from 1940's Ghost Breakers, starring Bob Hope.



Oh c'mon, it's funny. Of course, today the punchline could have been either major party and it would have fit.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Doesn't hold up? I strenuously beg to differ, sir.