Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Martian morsels

          A little rainy day reading (well, it's raining here at least.)

          • Alright, so maybe last night's All-Star Game post was a little much. It may come as a shock, but I'm prone to spur-of-the-moment, outlandish, emotional comments; I know this. Especially after four beers, which was the case last night. Baseball isn't really in the shitter - it's just had a handful of recent absurd decisions made for the love of money, not the game. There's no reason the All-Star Game should count for anything, especially something as important as home field advantage in the World Series. It seems almost too obvious, but here it is: the team with the best overall record should get home field. That would keep teams from benching their stars down the stretch, and make the entire 162 game season exciting. But hey, it doesn't inspire a catchy slogan, so no go. (By the way, I still think LaRussa is a nutless corrupt drunk. Guess I'm still buzzed.)
          • Ms. Paglia is back, and I love her so - especially because she brings common sense to the global warming craziness. "Environmentalism is of vital importance to our future, but it cannot be based on lies," she writes. A great read.
          • I think this could be the coolest movie prop of all time.
          • A recent visit to Border's provided me with two new books, both of which I'm excited about - Tobias Wolff's Old School and Dave Eggers' A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which I want to finally get around to reading. The problem is that I've been in a bit of a reading rut, and the books I continue to buy are stacking up. Next to my bed sits twin towers of both unread pages and tomes with torn-paper bookmarks tonguing out around page 10. Lisey's Story, Will in the World, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, The Idiot, God Is Not Great, The Road (which I bought before Oprah recommended it), Lynch on Lynch - all collecting dust. And I have the new Harry Potter showing up next week. I should probably stop wasting all this time blogging.
          • I am about halfway through The Dangerous Book for Boys, but it's not exactly the cover-to-cover read I'd been led to believe. I think it will prove much more worthwhile when I have, you know, boys.
          • The Girl is out of town this week, so I've spent my free time doing all those wild and crazy things I always dream about: hanging out at my dad's insurance agency and watching Netflix. Watch out, world!
          • Speaking of Netflix, here's a quick reflection on my recent viewing. Stay far away from Smokin' Aces and The OH in Ohio, give Reno 911!: Miami a look if you're a fan of the show (it's basically the same, just R-rated), and, well, I don't know what to tell you about Black Snake Moan. I really liked it, but would definitely shy away from giving it a mass recommendation. And I've had Breach and Little Children sitting on top of my TV for about a month, but it always takes me a bit longer to watch dramas. All that thinkin' and stuff.
          • Oh, and I stand firm: Transformers sucked. My bestest friend Don Murphy, though, can sleep easy knowing just about everybody disagrees with me.
          • Got any good book recommendations?

          3 comments:

          Sarah said...

          This is kind of old, but Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.

          ACG said...

          You've got it already - I'm about halfway through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, and while it's a slow read (for me, at least), it's a really good one.

          Then again, I liked Transformers.

          Pasqua said...

          You ever read Chuck Klosterman? He's a bit of a loon, but he sure does like pop culture.