Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sickomo

I saw Sicko, just like I've seen every previous Michael Moore film. As a conservative, I spend my time scoffing; as a filmlover, I admire his talent. And his new film is technically his best. It's affecting, moving, funny - and completely full of shit. Yet it's never boring.

Moore has said he won't announce his next topic in advance, because the health insurance field noticeably braced for him when Sicko was announced a couple of years ago. A recent quote, however, gave us a very strong hint.

“There is nowhere in the four Gospels where Jesus uses the word 'homosexual.' The right wing has appropriated this guy … and they have used him to attack gays and lesbians, when he never said a single word against people who are homosexual. Anyone who professes to be a Christian and does that is certainly not following the teachings of Jesus Christ.”

Homosexuality, and particularly the Christian right's abhorrence of it, could make for a damn good film. I'm a little concerned, though, that it will be too easy to make these people look absurd, and will only, um, preach to the choir. Still, I agree with Moore (for once): "I think it’s a very ripe subject for someone like me to make a movie about."

And not that I expect Moore to tackle both sides of the issue, but his instinct for parody would be perfect to tackle the same ideas as this classic Onion article.

"They kept chanting things like, 'We're here, we're queer, get used to it!' and 'Hey, hey, we're gay, we're not going to go away!'" Orosco said. "All I can say is, I was used to it, but now, although I'd never felt this way before, I wish they would go away."

1 comment:

Jmac said...

Shoot, I'm a progressive and I can't stand the way Moore cherry-picks statistics and takes things out of context. Everytime I watch one of his movies or see him in an interview, I always think 'why does this guy have to be labeled as the dude who represents progressive folks' ...

It's like watching Alan Colmes. The man always manages to completely bungle an argument and make everyone look bad.

Anyway, if that's his next movie, that would interesting to say the least, though there's an obvious fallacy in employing the 'it ain't in the four gospels' argument seeing how there are, you know, a whole lot of other books in the Bible.