Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Random thoughts. Like Demi Moore's Mortal Thoughts, but mine aren't capable of dying

Man, do I hate it when thoughts die. You know, like "conservatism" or "who cares, it tastes good." Tragic.

  • Barry Bonds has hit #756. I'm fairly apathetic about the whole thing, which is surprising as a Braves fan. I should be frothing at the mouth over some steroid-enhanced behemoth taking the record away from our beloved Hank. Alas, not to be. One, I can't summon the righteousness. Two, A-Rod is gonna take it away in seven years or so. Three, and this is important, I think it's overlooked that many pitchers Bonds faced were likely on the juice (something Aaron never had to deal with.) I didn't watch last night, but I did love this quote from pitcher Mike Bacsik, who gave up the homer: "Me and Al Downing I guess will be linked for a long time. Hopefully I can win 20 games and be an All-Star like him one day." Classy. Downing, of course, is the pitcher who gave up #755 to Aaron.

  • Staying the course on baseball: I'm loving this Atlanta/New York series so far. Once Chipper retires in a few, it's looking like Jeff Francoeur just might inherit the mantle of "Mets Killer."

  • Rick Reilly has lain some schmack down on our corrupt politicians and the despicable practice of eminent domain. I can't find it online, but check out the back page of the new Sports Illustrated (with, who else, Bonds on the cover.) It's stuff like this that really makes me think we're in need of The American Revolution II. Some sequels are just begging to be made.

  • I'm absurdly stoked about the return of the HBO series "Hard Knocks," which has previously chronicled the preseasons of the 2001 Baltimore Ravens and the 2002 Dallas Cowboys. After a too-long hiatus, it returns with its gaze set on the Kansas City Chiefs. "Giddy" doesn't even begin to describe. The problem lies with its scheduling: Wednesdays at 10 p.m. The only other two shows I'm watching this summer? "Rescue Me," FX, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. and "Top Chef," Bravo, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. That's a kick in the balls. (And no, I'm not embarrassed about my addiction to "Top Chef." It's damn good TV, folks.)

  • Virginia Tech just hasn't had a good year. First, my beloved Bulldogs rallied to beat the Hokies in January's Chick-Fil-A Bowl. Then, in a far less devastating development, a guy shot some people. Well, the news keeps getting worse. On September 6th, John Mayer will perform on campus. How much more do these people have to suffer? Dave Matthews and Nas will join McStupid on stage at "A Concert For Virginia Tech" (and the performers are actually more bland than the title.) Fine and dandy, but as James Taranto points out, is Nas really the most fitting guest to remember the tragedy? From his 1999 song titled, no shit, "Shoot 'Em Up":

    "One 44, two 45's/
    3 loaded clips, 4 niggas roll, one nigga drives/
    500 Benz, 6 reasons why/
    This kid should die/
    We shootin' every motherfucker outside/
    Pulled on his block, jumped out the car, guns in our hand/
    At the same time everybody ran/
    There that nigga go, hiding in the crowd/
    Let the trigger blow, 7 shots now, he lying on the ground."

    And now let's light a candle!

  • Every Day Must Be Saturday has taken a shot at jean shorts-wearing Georgia fans which, considering they're Florida faithful, is a bit like Germany scolding Mexico for killing Jews. Need I remind:

God, I was a lot thinner then.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You aren't using the asterisk when you refer to 756? I'm still on the fence about that.

Don@PetalumaFilms.com said...

For someone who doesn't care about the Home Run King, it was nice of you to "muster" a big ole paragraph about how apathetic you claim to be. Truth be told, Bonds is probably the finest anti-hero sports will ever know. I think we're ALL sick of the steroid debate and now people are either truly disinterested, truly happy for truly care but feel bad for being happy history was made.

I'm a Giants fan (and I was THERE last night!!) and Barry is, and always has been, "our" asshole. We love him for who he is. I love him because he simply doesn not change. He doesn't suck up or bow down. I accepted him a long time ago. You don't have to though, me and Barry don't care.

When's football start? When are good movies going to come out again?

Doug said...

For someone who doesn't care what Josh's opinion on Barry Bonds is, it was nice of you to muster a big ol' comment . . . etc., etc.