Friday, September 07, 2007

"Hey, It's Friday, Let's Watch A Kick-Ass Music Video!"


My personal favorite.

"I've made 10 good films," says John Cusack. "I'm sure you know which ones they are."

I'll play your game, you rogue. Starting at the beginning, here are the good films John Cusack has made - and I'll make it a little tougher. These are not simply good, but very good. Subtle, but strong difference there. And I'll omit cameos, so goodbye to Stand By Me, Broadcast News and Bob Roberts.

Very Good John Cusack Movies
Sixteen Candles (1984)
The Sure Thing (1985)
Better off Dead (1986)
Eight Men Out (1988)
Say Anything... (1989)
The Grifters (1990)
Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
Being John Malkovich (1999)
High Fidelity (2000)
Identity (2003)
1408 (2007)

So that's 12, and I haven't seen a couple dramas I'm sure Cusack would include - Max and Grace is Gone. I'm also certain he's counting The Thin Red Line, which I've long called The Thin Red Long-Ass Boring Pretentious Piece of Shit.

I think Mr. Cusack is selling himself a bit short, no? And heck, I even thought about including Runaway Jury, Pushing Tin, Serendipity and Con Air, which all have their charm.

Anybody who wants to make an argument for One Crazy Summer or Hot Pursuit can feel free.

Also feel free to watch this video without thinking of a particular Cusack film...

No comments: