Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Review: Michael Clayton



I don't watch as many movies as I used to, and it's only October, so the following statement doesn't carry a terrible amount of weight. But it should be said nonetheless.

Michael Clayton is the best film of 2007.

I'm also not as wordy as I once was, but here it serves a point: You should go into this film knowing as little as possible. Avoid the reviews (the rest of them, at least.) Flip the channels if the commercial comes on. Let the film do its thing without you anticipating what's around the corner. I followed my own advice, and it served me well.

Five tidbits about the movie that won't ruin a thing:

1) While many will agree, at least 50% of you will walk out wondering what I thought was so great. And a good number of those folks will actively dislike it. It's just one of those films.

2) Writer-director Michael Gilroy is best known for writing Matt Damon's Bourne films. He received a special tribute in Ocean's 13 - starring Clooney and Damon - when one of the elaborate cons was nicknamed "the Gilroy."

3) Up to now, Clooney has starred in three movies I would label "great" - 1998's Out of Sight, 1999's Three Kings and 2000's O Brother Where Art Thou. So it took awhile, but No. 4 can be added to the list. And the final shot - wow. That takes a real actor, and the Cloondog pulled it off.

4) While I haven't been a fan of Sydney Pollack's last few directorial efforts (The Interpreter, Random Hearts, Sabrina), he has become one of the most fascinating actors working today. I'm still creeped out by his big speech in Eyes Wide Shut.

5) Last, but oh so definitely not least. One of the shadier Michael Clayton characters is played by none other than Kent from Real Genius. Tis' true.



+ 22 YEARS

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Thank you Josh, for your review. I am so tired of seeing or hearing about half the movie in the preview or review. Your review was refreshing. I hate movie previews so much nowadays. See my blog for further details. You've inspired a rant.