Monday, October 13, 2008

Bearly



That was the best Atlanta Falcons win since Morten Andersen kicked the 38-yarder in Minnesota.

I was literally shaking, having gone from up-to-down-to-really-down-to-really-really-really-up in a span of three minutes. When the text messages started rolling in just after Jason Elam's kick split the uprights, I tried to reply, but my fingers couldn't connect with the right keys for five minutes.

While I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for UGA beating Tennessee - Tennessee! - the day before, this Falcons win impaired me. Utterly bizarre.

That said, I'm certainly enjoying my season ticket investment all the more. I had actually sold my Bears tickets for a wildly inflated price in order to cover a lot of the entire cost. And when The Fiancee asked me if I wished I'd gone, I didn't even hesitate.

"Oh no. Hell no. If I had been there, I would have done something to shift wind currents, or yell something to make a player's muscle twitch differently, or just affect the freakin' aura somewhat." When a game comes down to a single second, a billion things could have happened ever-so-slightly differently to affect the outcome. Knowing my presence could have somehow been one of them, I'm glad I stayed home.

Oh, and on the radio this morning, I heard three different people ask the same question: "Is it time to start thinking about the 2008 Atlanta Falcons as a playoff team?" And you know my response.

What do you mean "start?"

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Sign me up for the bandwagon. I actually went to this game and for my first Falcon's game in several years, I picked a good one. maybe I am their lucky charm. Mr. Blank should have me on the sideline for the rest of the season.

Krista said...

you are right - it was a beary good game!