Sunday, October 19, 2008

Worst to first



My fantasy baseball team ended the regular season in first place*, and it was in no small part thanks to the Tampa Bay Rays. My final roster included Matt Garza, Evan Longoria and David Price - all of whom I got to see contribute mightily to the ALCS win, which happened about 15 minutes ago.

I say that to acknowledge I've followed the Rays in some capacity all year, and to cement how high I am over their win tonight. Not only because they defeated my Least Favorite Team In All Of Professional Sports (the Boston Red Sox), but - well, OK, it's mostly because they beat the Red Sox. But I will be rooting for an American League team in the World Series for the first time in forever, and it's because this team encapsulates what sports should be all about. They seem to be just a bunch of kids having fun, and they made me one of those kids tonight. My pug was terrified multiple times by my screams and jumps.

Oh, and somebody tell Bill Simmons to suck it. Hard.

*No, I didn't end the playoffs in first place. Because Tim's an asshole. And probably better at fantasy baseball than I am.

1 comment:

Stanicek said...

Maybe we can get a little Bath and Body Works gift basket for the regular season winner. Or something from that ridiculous catalogue that sells a jar of jelly for like $57 and a dozen pears on installment plans.