Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sunday blues

My fiancee is a first grade teacher, and was just told today she and her co-workers wouldn't be getting their annual scheduled raises - for the second year in a row. And this time, there's the added bonus of denying them a cost-of-living increase as well.

The money just ain't in the tax coffers. Instead of blaming the most obvious culprit - the fact that most of her school's families are illegal Mexican sponges who pay no taxes - let's look at the second most obvious.

Our wonderful Georgia politicians.

Here's a column I recently came across in The Red & Black, the UGA student newspaper I used to write for. It highlights one of many tax avenues our elected officials won't go down because of puritanical reasons.



Did you catch the part about Atlanta's restaurants not being able to serve alcohol on Sunday?

Yeah, that's the ONLY dated thing from this column - published on February 10, 1976. Twelve days before I was born.

3 comments:

Bobby said...

Interesting find.

Pasqua said...

Axing teacher's raises wasn't on my Sonny-Do list, yet he did it anyways! Three Cheers for our Governor!!!

Carrie said...

Before I got to the end I was like, "the Red and Black really needs to update their fonts."