Monday, May 11, 2009

Paul Blart: Mall Survivor

On Sunday night, I watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Ok, reasons aren't necessary. It was free, I think Kevin James is funny, and it was free. And it was free. So I don't feel justification is required. It was free.

The movie was OK. Not great, but OK. A harmless PG-rated flick that I would absolutely take my kids to, if I had any. But what makes it worth bringing it to your attention is this: it had Survivor. SURVIVOR. And we know only good movies - Rocky III, Rocky IV, The Karate Kid - have Survivor. SURVIVOR.

Fifteen minutes into the flick, Blart takes the potential love of his life on a Segway ride through the mall. And the filmmakers - geniuses that they are - laid Survivor's 1984 hit "I Can't Hold Back" over it, and featured it again in the final scene. It made the film feel straight out of the mid-'80s, and trust me, that's a compliment.

Let's revisit "I Can't Hold Back," as if you don't know exactly what I'm talking about.



Yes, I know. You love Survivor as much as I do. Sadly, their current tour dates don't mention Atlanta as a destination, but I'm sure that's an oversight that'll be immediately corrected.

By the way, fun fact: Bud Light's "Real Men of Genius" ads are sung by original Survivor vocalist David Bickler. Just when you thought Survivor couldn't get any more badass.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I totally lip synced in the movie theater when we watched this. Jody was somehow embarrassed. I also had a jazz dance to this in high school.....ahhhhh.....