Thursday, August 06, 2009

A memoriam, by way of Youtube

In memory of John Hughes, my favorite scenes from his career (at least the ones I could find on YouTube)...

National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
One of the funniest movies ever made, written by Hughes and based on his own childhood (Harold Ramis directed). Take a few minutes and read Hughes' short story "Vacation '58." It was originally published in a '70s-era issue of, yes, National Lampoon Magazine.



The Breakfast Club (1985)
I couldn't find a decent, fan-unmolested clip on Youtube - but here's the trailer. The film may not hold up as well as some of Hughes' other stuff (Ally Sheedy's makeover and the dance scene are particularly bad), but it's still pretty damn fun. And oh-so-quotable.



Weird Science (1985)
Stupid crap, but really funny stupid crap. I wish I could find a clip featuring Bill Paxton, the best thing about this movie.



Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
The Great One, right? Certainly the best, and most rewatchable of his teen films. I mean, how many times do you even obliquely refer to this film? Somebody asks the score to a game, and the answer is "zero-zero." Don't you think of adding "the Bears" every time?



She's Having a Baby (1987)
Warning: this is not a funny scene. But it's one of Hughes' best, immeasurably helped by Kate Bush. And man, when the previously disapproving father-in-law gives the thumbs up? I'm just sayin', it is dusty as hell in here.



Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)
I'll say it: John Hughes' best movie. Is that as heretical as I think it might be?



Ok, and one extra scene from Vacation, because it's that damn good.

1 comment:

Jamie Massey said...

Is the daughter in that last vacation scene "Jenna" from 30 ROCK?!