Friday, August 07, 2009

When "whipped" just won't cover it

Josiah Neufeld made an unusual decision after he proposed to his fiancee. He would take his wife's last name, not the other way around.

I did it because I love Mona -- because I wanted her to know that I didn't expect her to become anyone other than herself. It mattered to me that we shared a name, so I reasoned I should be the one to offer mine up...

Mona told me afterward my choice made her feel loved.
And then Fark linked to his post. Message board hilarity.

3 comments:

Jessie "The Hammer" Tuggle said...

This song is for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPcY15JaWY

Megs said...

The comments are hilarious. Why any man gives two shits or is threatened by this guy's decision is beyond me, however. What difference does it make?

Josh M. said...

Mostly, it's that he comes off sanctimonious about the whole thing. And then, of course, there's this: "I wear my new name as proudly as I wear the tiny woman with braided hair I carved from a piece of antler and hung around my neck as a wedding ring."